Saturday, October 6, 2012

Butternut Squash Lasagna.

Oh how I love thee.
What you need:

1 large Butternut Squash
4 (or more!) cloves of garlic, minced
1 TBSP honey
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1 16 oz. package spinach, cooked and drained
3 c. cottage cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
9 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked
mozzarella cheese for topping (about 2 cups)

To do:

Cut your squash in half, remove seeds, and place it in a baking dish skin side up. Put about half an inch of water in the bottom of the pan, and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until soft.

Scoop out the innards of the squash and put into a large bowl along with the honey, basil, oregano, garlic, and salt and pepper. Using your handy dandy immersion blender (substitute food processor, potato masher, hands, etc), puree until fairly smooth. If it's too thick you can use some of the leftover cooking water to thin it, if you haven't tossed that yet. If you're like me, you probably tossed it, so just a splash of tap water will do the trick, too.

In a separate bowl, combine the cottage cheese and spinach.

Let the layering begin.

Disclaimer: The original recipe from Food and Whine calls for three layers of the butternut squash mixture, but I never seem to have enough. Have I mentioned that I really like all of the components of this recipe, and yes, I may have been sampling as I mixed? ooh, and I may have roasted a little bit of the large butternut squash. hmm...That being said, every time I have made this recipe, I have layered the lasagna differently. And it's still amazing. So, pick your favorite way to layer, and commence.

Here's what I did this go around:
butternut squash mixture, 3 lasagna noodles, spinach mixture, 3 lasagna noodles, butternut squash mixture, 3 lasagna noodles, spinach mixture, mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Happy cooking, and very happy eating! The three year old in these parts asked for seconds. So yes, happy eating, indeed!

Ever so slightly adapted from Food and Whine. Oh, and her photo is much more appetizing, but you get the idea. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment