Sunday, May 27, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake with 1/4 mile high biscuits...

one good morning.

many, many good berries! 

... a post dinner surprise for my honey.
Inspiration for the dish: Sam's "not-so-subtle" hints about his love for strawberry shortcake, a sudden burst of energy, and a minute to myself.

Here's my adaptation on the berries...

The Doctored Berries:
Strawberries
1/3 c sugar
1 TBSP lemon juice
and then, more sugar to taste!

Allow the berries to just sit in the juices for a good little while, so you can get the biscuits going and tend to the whipped cream.

Biscuits:
In Look and Cook, these biscuits are referred to as "Mile-High." However, as you can see in the picture, my poor pitiful biscuits don't quite measure up. I cut the recipe in half and then rolled out my dough far, far too thin to make enough biscuits. Stroke of genius on my part, especially when I realized that I only needed half an egg. yikes!

3 cups flour
1 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1/2 c milk

Preheat oven to 450. Sift the dry ingredients into a big bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, mix the butter in until the combination of ingredients is thoroughly incorporated. In a separate bowl, combine the egg and milk before adding it to the dry ingredients. Mix only until the contents will hold together well enough to form a ball.

On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough lightly 15 times. Here's where I went wrong. The original recipe directs you to roll the dough out to 3/4 inches before cutting biscuits. So take your pick. Mile-High or 1/4 mile-high biscuits! Place the cut biscuits (I used a drinking glass) onto an un-greased cookie sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Whipped Cream:
1 c whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 TBSP powdered sugar

I found the homemade whipped cream recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whipped-cream/, though I must confess that I may have been a little heavy-handed with the powdered sugar. Let's just say that no one minded.


The Recipe Source:






No comments:

Post a Comment